A jewel in Cape Town’s crown, Table Mountain is home to a rich diversity of fauna and flora and offers breathtaking views of the Mother City and surrounds.
To reach the top of this magnificent Cape Town icon, take a five to ten-minute cableway ride to the upper cableway station. On the way up to the station located at the 1 067 meters, enjoy the 360° aerial views provided by the revolving cable cars.
Having reached the famous tabletop, take a short walk down one of the many paths that lead to look-out points and simply enjoy the beauty of your surroundings, or take advantage of the opportunity to orientate yourself on the Cape Peninsula. Telescopes are provided to take a closer look at more distant objects of interest.
Indulge in a snack at the Table Mountain Cafe, which serves a variety of meals and refreshments throughout the day, or buy a pre-packed meal from the deli for later. (The cafe has recently begun using eco-friendly, 100% compostable plates.)
In summer, you may want to plan your trip to coincide with sunset. Take sundowners, or buy some from the Table Mountain Cafe, and absorb the rare beauty of a Cape Town sunset and evening from the top of the mountain. Regardless of the weather or time of day, take some warm clothing as it can often be chilly on the mountain top and the weather can turn quickly.
Table Mountain offers some spectacular hiking opportunities. If you would prefer to hike up the mountain, rather than use the cableway, make sure that you do it safely. Always leave enough time and light to walk both up and down again. As the cableway may close at any time due to strong winds, never rely on it being open when you reach the top. Ensure that you take sufficient water, snacks and weatherproof clothing with you. For further information on hiking Table Mountain safely, see the table Mountain Aerial Cableway website.
To book a registered guide or tour operator, contact the Cape Town Tourism Visitor Information Centre at the lower cableway station.
- You can expect the outing to take at least 1-2 hours. Be sure to allow extra time for queues in peak season!
- The cableway is accessible to people with disabilities. There are wheelchair bays at the lower cable station.
- Rates vary seasonally. Â As the cableway is weather dependent, bookings cannot be made. Tickets can be purchased from the lower station ticket office on the day of your visit. Check the website or call the weather line before leaving for the cableway.
- Hours of operation: In summer, the first car up leaves the bottom cable station at 08h00 and the last car up leaves at 21h00. The last car down departs the upper station at 22h00.
- Visit the Table Mountain Aerial Cableway website for further information: Â www.tablemountain.net
Weather line: 021 424 8181
Table Mountain Cafe
Telephone: 021 424 8181
Phone: 082 339 7047
Venture Forth International
Phone: 086 110 6548 (South African callers)
+27 (0)21 510 6707 (International callers)